As the coronavirus pandemic is sweeping the globe, millions of people are furloughed, have lost their jobs and are collecting unemployment, or, have seen their job disappear altogether.
Households are left scrambling to find new sources of income and the online search queries for ‘work from home’ and ‘remote work’ are skyrocketing.
A search for ‘the next best thing’ is on as is evident by an increase in our Social Media ProⓇ student enrollment numbers just this past month..
As an online teaching company, we at Social Media ProⓇ are strong believers in the power of online learning, online courses, online community and online continuing education.
Have you considered becoming a social media manager? The social media marketing industry is exploding!
In this article we will explore what it takes to become a social media manager and why NOW is the best time to get started!
What Does a Social Media Manager Do?
There are many daily, weekly and monthly tasks that social media managers take on to support small businesses, entrepreneurs, coaches, corporations and just about any business in between.
These tasks are based on what level of support each business or brand needs and could include (but is not limited to)
- Creating a social media strategy
- Selecting the best social media platforms for the client
- Maintaining a social media presence
- Building an audience on many different social networks
- Posting to all social media accounts consistently
- Assisting the in-house marketing team
- Staying on top of the latest social media trends
- Providing customer service
- Graphic design for social media posts
- Community management
- Creating content
- And much much more!
How Much Does a Social Media Manager Earn?
While we can not put a ‘number’ on the earnings, we’ve previously written about how YOU should set your rates, and your potential earnings.
Just realize that there’s no limit. As your skills and knowledge grow, so do the opportunities that present themselves to you.
Always keep networking, growing and learning!
Being a great social media manager takes more than a one-time commitment to a course or certification; it takes getting your hands ‘dirty’, getting some experience under your belt by applying what you’ve learned, testing, and the ability to provide high quality service and stay up to date on the latest trends in this fast-changing industry!
Why NOW is The Best Time To Learn Social Media Management!
Anytime is a great time to become a social media manager.
I myself became a social media manager nearly 10 years ago and have seen social media channels, colleagues and tactics come and go.
We at Social Media Pro have not only been teaching social media management for nearly 10 years, we have been building a community at the same time. We are 38,000+ members strong!
The one major consistent presence in the 9+ years of social media management has been the stream of clients waiting to be served!
With a global pandemic, billions of people on lockdown and quarantined at home, millions of small business owners are looking for guidance to take their business online. THIS is a perfect time to share your social media management skills with the world! While some social media managers report losing clients during this pandemic, many more are reporting working more due the high demand for our skills.
This the the best time to become a social media manager. Not quite convinced? Read on.
12 Reasons To Become a Social Media Manager
1. Social Media is Fun. It’s how we connect, share, and are entertained ALL DAY LONG, and especially now, while many of us are quarantined at home. We go to social media for virtual meetups, virtual meetings and entertainment. We watch shows, interact with friends and get our daily fix’ of socialization’ from social media!
2. You already have Social Media Skills. Leverage your existing personal use of social media. You are already using it everyday, You might as well get paid for it, right?! You know how to upload a video, share pictures, write a caption on Instagram and share something you have read.
3. The Demand for Help is High! There are more businesses that need your help than there are knowledgable social media managers to help them. This is true now more than ever – as many businesses have seen their brick and mortar locations close, they are migrating to online sales and community building. They need guidance and help from experienced professionals.
4. Start Your Own Business. Starting your own business usually takes lots of time, money and specialized knowledge. Becoming a social media manager is one of the fastest ways to start a business of your own, with only a small investment in your education. Many of our students are up and running in less than 45 days – some much faster than that! Finding that first client might seems daunting but it need not be…!
5. Easy To Learn – Learning social media management is easy because you are already familiar with how people use social media. Expand your understanding of social media to include best practices for businesses and learn how you can help get the best results. Learning how to onboard clients, how to write a social media strategy and how to find clients is easy if you have the right support!
6. Work From Home – More and more people are looking to work from home. Social media management is one of the fastest growing home-based businesses, especially in these trying times. The ‘how to work from home‘ question has been answered over and over as millions of employees are navigating this ‘new normal’. While these employees may go back to an office, you don’t have to if you are a social media manager!
7. Work While Traveling – Because social media takes place online, you can manage social media for any business, from any location that has an internet connection. Our courses are popular among Digital Nomads, retirees, as well as young professionals looking for a lifestyle change! Of course, there isn’t much traveling going on right now, but when the world opens back up; you can work from anywhere, any place.
8. Set Your Own Hours / Time Flexibility – As a social media manager you can choose when you work. Time flexibility gives you new choices and lots of freedom around how you spend your day. This is brilliant for parents and those with pets at home! You can work when you are most productive, not when a boss requires you to sit in an office, in a chair!
9. Spend More Time with Friends and Family – There is a lot more to life than just working. A career in social media management gives you back important time to spend doing what matters to you most as there is no commute and more often than not, much higher rate of productivity!
10. Rewarding Pay – Because social media skills are in such high demand, businesses are willing to pay good money for your services. The more you know and the more services you offer, the more your rates can be raised.
11. Increase Your Value – Regardless of whether you are looking for a job, or want to start a business of your own, social media skills will increase your perceived value. This value goes up even more if you add a social media certification to your resume! It is often one of the first things potential clients notice on your LinkedIn profile, or in your email signature!
12. Future Proof / Crisis Proof – Social media is here to stay and is continuing to expand as a primary communication medium for businesses around the world. Especially in times of crisis, social media remains a critical tool for businesses, making the social media manager’s role even more crucial in times of challenge.
How To Get Started as a Social Media Manager
We have a 1-2-3 formula that works great!
- Sign up for our courses.
- Join our student Facebook group!
- Get certified!
If you are ready to get started, join us today!
I am a Certified Social Media Manager, Strategist, International Keynote Speaker, Organic Specialist and Agile marketer! Blogging is my creative outlet. Running, hiking and skiing are how I recharge. You’ll recognize me on stage and online by my always present orange glasses, a nod to my Dutch heritage.