Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you've heard about AI and in the last few months in particular, ChatGPT. This was one of our top trends to look out for in 2023, and the AI-powered social media wave is officially here in full force.
When ChatGPT launched in late November 2022, AI chatbots seemed to take the internet by storm overnight. In just two months after its launch, ChatGPT became the fastest app to reach 100 million active users, surpassing TikTok and Instagram.
But the truth of the matter is, AI has been here for a while now, with tools like Jasper available to social media professionals for some time. The current widespread adoption of AI tools that we're seeing with the AI Boom is finally making AI accessible to the masses, and innovative AI tools are being developed and implemented at an unprecedented pace.
Now the question on all of our minds is, what does this mean for us as social media professionals?
Since this boom began we've set out to answer that very question, interviewing experts, testing out every AI tool we can get our hands on, and learning through trial and error.
Advancements in AI technology have made it easier than ever to streamline social media work and save time and effort.
We've compiled this high-level overview of what content managers and social media pros need to know to begin using AI and chatbots like ChatGPT in your workflow.
What Social Media Managers Need to Know About AI and ChatGPT
When it comes to using AI for content creation and copywriting, it's important to ensure that the content generated is not random or generic. Instead, AI tools should be used in an intentional way that is tailored to the specific needs and preferences of the client. This can be achieved by utilizing keywords and keyword research to generate content that is relevant to the client and informative for the audience.
Additionally, AI tools should be used to capture the client's voice and style, rather than creating content that sounds artificial or basic. By asking chatbots to write in a certain person's voice or by training them to learn a client's writing style, we can create content that feels personalized and authentic. You can even take copy straight from a client's website or social media profiles and ask the chatbot to learn that voice.
The key to using AI for content creation is to strike a balance between automation and personalization, ensuring that the content we produce is both efficient for us and effective for the client.
AI is Not Stealing Our Jobs
A common and understandable fear when it comes to using AI-powered social media tools is that AI will take our jobs away or that it will make the need for a social media professional nonexistent, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.
AI can't replace experts.
Any AI tool needs an intelligent person behind it, using their knowledge and expertise to refine the process and ensure that the output is of high quality. AI is not designed to replace human expertise or eliminate jobs, but to aid and enhance the work of professionals.
AI can be particularly useful in overcoming common roadblocks that social media professionals face, such as writer's block or creative burnout, by providing a jumping-off point for ideas and helping to spark creativity.
Rather than replacing us, AI should be viewed as a valuable tool that we can use in our work, helping to achieve our goals more effectively and in less time. By harnessing these powerful technologies, you can streamline your workflow, automate tedious tasks, create more effective campaigns, and free up time to take on more clients (or just work fewer hours!).
How to Use AI in Social Media & Content Management
Now, let's jump into some of the tactical applications of AI tools in social media marketing.
How can AI help with creating deliverables for our clients and streamlining our workflow?
- Content Research: Use chatbots to come up with endless topic ideas and brainstorm potential keywords for clients.
- AI-Generated Images: Tools like Midjourney and OpenAI's DALL-E can create realistic images and art from prompts. These images can be used in client audit presentations, as inspiration for brand materials and graphics, etc.
- Content Repurposing: Take long-form pieces of video content and use AI generators for snippet selection, finding the best parts of the long video and turning them into short-form pieces of content with tools such as Vidyo.ai. Turn videos into podcasts with tools like Descript.
- Graphic Creation: Upload templates and CSV transcript files into an AI graphic creator to create quick graphics for clients. Tools like Canva's Bulk Create feature are using AI technology to generate multiple social media graphics for us in one go.
- Creative Copywriting: Use AI to write video scripts, hooks, YouTube and Podcast descriptions, outlines of blog posts, and more. Jasper's content improver tool takes a piece of content and rewrites it to make it more interesting, creative, and engaging.
- Editing in a Click: AI editing tools make editing photos and videos easier than ever. Runaway is a creative suite of 30+ AI Magic Tools that can expand and reimagine images, erase anyone or anything from any video with a simple brush stroke, and generate videos with an image, video clip or text prompt. Even Canva's background remover feature is AI technology.
Of course, this list is only skimming the surface of everything that AI tools can do for social media professionals, and the most important thing is to get started. You will only reap the benefits of this AI boom if you dive into the world of AI-powered social media management tools for yourself and begin learning through implementation. So jump in, play around, and prepare to be inspired!
Social Media Pro Connect Community
Continue your AI journey in our Social Media Pro Connect Community.
Connect is our private members-only thriving community of social media pros where you can stay sharp with “What’s Working Right Now” in Social Media.
Learn more about AI-Powered Social Media Management in the Connect community.
Group perks include a supportive community where every question is answered, live weekly training and Q&A sessions, and access to our library of 270+ past video trainings.